Bachelor in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (BASLP) is a 4-year undergraduate medical course. This professional course, unlike other medical courses which require high eligibility criteria. The degree course fully maintains a theoretical and practical knowledge as per the syllabus.
It is training to diagnose and treat people with hearing disabilities and speech disorders. Trainees are capable of recognizing the abnormal aspects of language and speech. It gives the education to treat people with hearing loss. It deals with auditory disorders diagnosis of Middle ear, disorders inner ear, auditory nerve and also Central auditory nervous system. Also deals with language disorders, treatment of stuttering and other speech problems. It likewise teaches how to treat hearing impairment, autism, stroke or paralysis, cerebral palsy, mental retardation and other learning disorders.
Eligibility criteria of BASLP are more relaxed than any other medical stream. The student should pass 10 + 2 in science stream with Biology or Maths. The minimum score obtained in 12th boards should be 50%. However, SC, ST and OBC candidates will be acceptable with 45%. Core subjects in the 12th board should be Physics, Chemistry and Biology/maths. Students whose 12th results are not out yet can also apply for the provisional course.
People who are unable to go for MBBS and any other field after giving the NEET exam can surely consider this stream. It is not difficult to pursue, and the eligibility requirement is very pretentious. Although, some institutes take students based on the 12th board scores while some of them conduct their entrance exams. Some of the significant entrance exams are AIIMS UG (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) Under Graduate Entrance Exam, PGIMER UG Entrance Exam, NEET UG (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) Under Graduate Entrance Exam, JIPMER UG Entrance Exam, and Manipal University Entrance Exam.
The four-year degree course has a vast syllabus divided into eight semesters. Syllabus of each semester are as follows:
- Introduction to Speech and Language Pathology
- Introduction to Pathology
- Basic Human Anatomy
- Fluency and its disorders
- Basic Acoustics
- Basic Electronics
- Introduction to Linguists
- Psychology related to Speech
- Adult Neuro-communication disorders
- Psychology related to Hearing
- Clinical Work (Speech Pathology)
- Clinical Work (Audiology)
- Childhood Communication Disorders
- Neuro-motor Speech Disorders
- Articulation and Phonological Disorders
- Voice and Laryngectomy
- Diagnostic Audiology
- Amplification and Assistive Devices for the hearing impaired.
- Rehabilitative Audiology
- Educational Audiology
- Community-Oriented Professional Practices in Speech-Language Pathology
- Noise measurement and Hearing conversation
- Clinical work (Speech Pathology)
- Assistive Device for the hearing impaired
- Basic Statistics and Research Methods in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Clinical Work (Speech Pathology)
- Clinical work (audiology)
- Pediatric Audiology
Students are posted in house in the department of speech and hearing with the hospitals and special schools for six months.
- In last semester, students are tied up with specialized institutes to work under supervision.
There is a profitable number of employment opportunities for trained speech and audio pathologist in India. The requirement is much more than the supply of such professionals with a growing population. Employment sector includes working in a Government or Private Hospital, working in NGO, opening a Healthcare management system, Hearing Aid manufacturing.
Moreover, if none of these is suitable, then one can always opt for a teaching career. The professionals perform undertakings like conducting clinical activities like assisting listening device and dispensing hearing AIDS. They can also conduct speech and hearing research. Moreover, lastly, they can be a teacher at particular school or university.
Successful graduates can also go for further study and be a specialist. Other options include getting M.A in Communication sciences and disorders, M.Sc. in Molecular Pathogenesis, MBA in Healthcare Management or doctorate in research fields.
Pathology is also very economic field as one can earn well after getting the degree. Different job profiles offer different kinds of salary depending on the proficiency of work.
An audiologist can earn well from 3 to 7 lacs INR per annum. Speech pathology reader can get 2 to 5.7 lacs INR per annum. A clinical supervisor can earn 2.5 to 5 lacs INR per annum. Lecturer in special schools can make 3 to 6 lacs INR per annum. The researcher can earn from 3 to 27.5 lacs INR per annum.
- Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH) (Mumbai)
The college offers BASLP course with an annual fee of 18667 INR.
2. All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) (New Delhi)
The college offers BASLP course with an annual fee of 1028 INR.
3. University of Mysore (UOM) (Mysore)
The college offers BASLP course with an annual fee of 10000 INR.
4. Indian Institute of Health Management Research (IIHMR) (Jaipur)
College offers BASLP course with an annual fee of 10000 INR.