BHMS (Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery) is an undergraduate course which covers the field of homeopathic medicine. It is a five and a half years course including the internship. Homeopathic science, based on strong principles and a highly safe treatment method is full of wonders. Following an alternative approach in the field of medical practice, the system of homeopathy uses the proven and scientific route of treatment by triggering the natural system of the patient and allowing the body to heal itself. Even after being regularly criticized and compared with the allopathic mode of treatment, the homeopathy has come a long way and has been recognized as one of the most reliable treatment methods. Some of the sub-fields of Homeopathy are: Homeopathic Pharmacy, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Skin Speciality, and Infertility. People who want to promote natural health with the help of alternative medicine will be majorly suitable for this course.
The admission process in B.H.M.S program includes group discussion, personal interview after the entrance exam. The salary package on average varies from 3.5 to 5 lacs for a Doctor, Lecturer or a Therapist in Homeopathy. The candidate should have Research and Development skills, Analytical skills, Critical thinking skills, Experimental skills in order to pursue this.
For a candidate to gain entrance into a medical college:
- The student must fulfill minimum eligibility criteria to get into BHMS college. Candidates must be prepared with their syllabus before appearing for the entrance exam.
- The student should pass from (10+2) with core subjects Biology, Chemistry, and Physics and side subject as English. Aggregate score in 12th boards should be at least 50%.
- Majority of the BHMS colleges in India are taking admissions based on the NEET score. However, few colleges are likely to conduct their own exam.
- Depending upon the marks of the entrance exam, students are alloted suitable colleges. It is further followed by group discussions and personal interviews.
- For admission in best BHMS college in India, you must be aged at least 17 years at the time of admission.
BHMS syllabus varies from colleges and Universities but there are certain common subjects and topics which are covered in almost all the areas.
1. Materia Medica : This subject deals the study of homeopathic drugs that are used to treat various sickness. It covers application of Pharmacology, Clinical Pharmacology, and the Physical and Chemical properties of drugs.
2. Organ on of Medicine : The subject covers the principles which are very important to obtain the result of a particular medicine. It helps in ensuring the effectiveness of the practice of medicine for the removal of the disease.
3. Anatomy : The subject directly deals with deep knowledge about the anatomical structures in a human body, and the organs associated. It also shows the correlation between the two.
4. Physiology & Biochemistry : This subject includes the behavioral function of living organisms. It gives a detailed knowledge of how our mind and body interacts.
5. Community Medicine : It is a social subject which connects the health community member to local maladies of a specific region or community.
Homeopathy is recently gaining huge popularity in the nation as well as abroad. Degree holders’ holders can earn well but if they specialize in a stream then they can even more. After the internship, a candidate can continue his practice or can start up his own clinic.
To gain more experience one can also work under the supervision of experienced doctors to be more precise in the field. Some can also go for ‘Master in Science’ in the fields Regenerative medicine-psychiatry, Epidemiology, Endocrinology, and Hospital Management.
Homeopathic graduates can opt for a doctorate degree in Organon of Medicine and Homeopathic Philosophy, Homeopathic Practice of Medicine and Homeopathic Pharmacy. Other job profiles include Private Practitioner, Public Health Specialist, Teacher, Researcher, Consultant, Pharmacist. In short, they can do the following:
- Achieve position of a doctor at government and private hospital.
- Achieve position of a medical officer at government and private hospital.
- Pursue specialisation in paediatrics, infertility, pharmacy, dermatology, gynaecology, etc. Take up the job as professors in homoeopathic institutions.
- Take up the job of a researcher in the homoeopathic field.
- Start up their own clinic or nursing homes.
- Open their own homoeopathic pharmacy.
For admission in BHMS, you can apply at the following reputed colleges offering BHMS degree:
1. Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) [Chandigarh] This college is ranked 18 out of 20. It offers BHMS course with an annual fee of 122128 INR.
2. Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS) [ Nashik, Maharashtra] This college offers BHMS course with an annual fee of 30000 INR.
3. Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University (BVDU) [Pune, Maharashtra] This college offers BHMS course with an annual fee of 148000 INR.
4. Kerala University of Health Sciences (KUHS) [ Thrissur, Kerala] This college offers BHMS course with an annual fee of 25000 INR.
5. Vinayak Missions University (VMU) [Salem, Tamilnadu] This college offers BHMS course with an annual fee of 300000 INR.